Ocean Stone Bath Mat

Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (10)

I was inspired to start this project when I saw the DIY river stone bath mat repinned a couple hundred times on my Pinterest feed! My problems with that are that the rocks were polished smooth, making it extremely unsafe when wet, they used hot glue which is not something that will hold up over time, and there was nowhere for excess water to drain off. I decided to eliminate those three issues and put my own spin on it by using ocean stones from our favorite beach. It took me a few trips to get the right amount, but I couldn’t be happier with the final product!

…..

Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (1)

Supplies:

Outdoor rubber mat – with holes or spaces for water to drain

Smooth ocean or river stones – make sure they are porous, not slick and polished. The amount will vary on the size of the mat and can be found near rivers, oceans, or your local craft store! ; )

Waterproof silicone sealer in clear – you want something that can hold up with water and that has a little bit of flex to it.

Plastic drop cloth or old shower curtain

The mat I picked had a textured pattern on the front so I flipped it over to work on the smooth side.

Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (11) Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (13)

Work on a plastic drop cloth or old shower curtain.. the last thing you want to do is glue your fun new bath mat down to your carpet! Now arrange your stones on the mat so you can make sure you have enough and map out how they will all fit. It’s kind of like putting a puzzle together, so have patience! I also placed the largest rocks I had over the holes in the mat. Water will still be able to drain out, but I didn’t want the gap to be visible.

Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (3) Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (4)

Once you have them arranged, start on one corner and pick up a stone, squeeze out a dab of the silicone sealer on the back of the stone and place it back down on the mat.

Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (8)

Hold for a few seconds and repeat with remaining stones.

Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (9)

The sealer says it will set up in 3 hours, but I would wait at least 24 hours before moving and using the mat.

This is a great way to incorporate nature into your bathroom and remember your favorite beach trips!

Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (7) Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (5) Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (10)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tagged: , , , , ,

Comments: 22

1. Kelli May 28, 2013 at 10:17 am Reply

Omg! I love this idea!! Thanks for sharing, Sasha. You’re so crafty and creative. LOVE IT! :)

• Sasha May 28, 2013 at 10:50 am Reply

Thank you Kelli!

2. Jess @ Sweet Athena May 28, 2013 at 6:38 pm Reply

Wow! I love that you took a popular idea and really thought about it and made sure it was something that could be sustainable. That’s some true Martha crafting right there. ;)

3. Olivia October 8, 2013 at 11:42 am Reply

I love this idea! In fact, I am obsessed with it! I am from New Hampshire and LOVE the ocean, but my husband and I currently live in Utah for school but I have tons of ocean rocks that I’ve brought with me from the east coast and that my mom has sent over time so I can’t wait to do this! Ahh!

4. […] Link==> http://www.tattooedmartha.com/2013/05/28/ocean-stone-bath-mat/ […]

5. DIY Fun Ideas March 12, 2014 at 2:20 pm Reply

Hi Sasha,
    I love this stone mat and just wanted to let you know that I’ve featured (and linked to) this project on my website: http://www.DIYFunIdeas.com. It’s a hub for fun & creative DIY ideas. The direct link to the featured post is: http://diyfunideas.com/how-to-make-a-stone-bath-mat/

Thanks so much for your wonderful creativity!
    ~Jenise

6. janice April 10, 2014 at 11:02 pm Reply

I LOVE THIS BUt
    i have a few questions
    so where does the excess water run to after it goes through
    the rocks to the mat?
    how do you sanitize this ?

• Sasha April 11, 2014 at 11:33 am Reply

The rocks we used were very porous so they did a great job at absorbing most of the water. What little run off there was, I would just lift the mat and wipe up with a towel or paper towel. To wash it I just placed mine straight into the bathtub, added a few squirts of soap, and turned the shower on. Then I just tipped it so the water could run off and let it air dry.

I hope this helps! Happy crafting!

7. […] Image via tattooedmartha.com […]

8. […] 1. Source: tattooedmartha […]

9. Winter July 5, 2014 at 10:45 am Reply

Hi there! Thank you so much for this tutorial! I was wondering what could be used for the stones if I live nowhere close to a beach. Are there porous stones that can be found in any stores that you know of? Thanks!

• Sasha July 6, 2014 at 2:16 pm Reply

Hi Winter! I would start with your local craft stores (Michael’s, Jo-Anns, Hobby Lobby) and see what they have available. Typically I only find the small shiny river rocks, which worry me since they could be a bit slippery. If they don’t have any stones large enough or porous in texture, check with Lowes or Home Depot. I hope this helps! Happy crafting!

10. Rosie July 15, 2014 at 3:07 pm Reply

How heavy is this thing?

• Sasha July 15, 2014 at 9:13 pm Reply

Haha it’s pretty heavy! The ocean stones I used are pretty heavy, but perhaps using flatter or lighter river rock might take some of that weight away. It slides around pretty easy though if you need to move it though.

11. Tammy July 15, 2014 at 11:40 pm Reply

I love this idea! I definitely want to try it. But one concern…is it hard on the bare feet? Even without sharp edges I’m worried it won’t be too comfy to stand on. How is that in your own experience?

• Sasha July 17, 2014 at 10:48 pm Reply

It’s surprisingly smooth and comfortable to stand on. I wouldn’t recommend it for in front of the sink or anywhere you’ll be standing for extended periods of time, but in front of the shower is just perfect! :)

12. Sarah Tarkington July 16, 2014 at 8:00 am Reply

You can buy river rock anywhere stone/gravel/dirt is sold and probably at Home Depot or a local Hardware store. I’d take a guess though that the a gravel/dirt distributor would be least expensive.

13. Karyl Griffin July 21, 2014 at 2:11 pm Reply

A friend recently redid her shower with flat stones for the flooring and I love it…but to redo mine was going to be very expensive. I’m not sure that I can find stones here in the desert, but this gave me an idea of what I might do to just make an in shower mat that wouldn’t require a full shower remodel. I’m going to percolate on this one! Thanks for the great idea.

• Sasha July 25, 2014 at 7:18 pm Reply

Thank you Karyl! You’ll have to keep me posted on your shower makeover plans! I’d love to see what you do with it!

14. […] Source tattooedmartha.com […]