Ocean Stone Bath Mat

Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (10)

I was inspired to start this project when I saw the DIY river stone bath mat repinned a couple hundred times on my Pinterest feed! My problems with that are that the rocks were polished smooth, making it extremely unsafe when wet, they used hot glue which is not something that will hold up over time, and there was nowhere for excess water to drain off. I decided to eliminate those three issues and put my own spin on it by using ocean stones from our favorite beach. It took me a few trips to get the right amount, but I couldn’t be happier with the final product!

…..

Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (1)

Supplies:

Outdoor rubber mat – with holes or spaces for water to drain

Smooth ocean or river stones – make sure they are porous, not slick and polished. The amount will vary on the size of the mat and can be found near rivers, oceans, or your local craft store! ; )

Waterproof silicone sealer in clear – you want something that can hold up with water and that has a little bit of flex to it.

Plastic drop cloth or old shower curtain

The mat I picked had a textured pattern on the front so I flipped it over to work on the smooth side.

Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (11) Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (13)

Work on a plastic drop cloth or old shower curtain.. the last thing you want to do is glue your fun new bath mat down to your carpet! Now arrange your stones on the mat so you can make sure you have enough and map out how they will all fit. It’s kind of like putting a puzzle together, so have patience! I also placed the largest rocks I had over the holes in the mat. Water will still be able to drain out, but I didn’t want the gap to be visible.

Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (3) Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (4)

Once you have them arranged, start on one corner and pick up a stone, squeeze out a dab of the silicone sealer on the back of the stone and place it back down on the mat.

Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (8)

Hold for a few seconds and repeat with remaining stones.

Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (9)

The sealer says it will set up in 3 hours, but I would wait at least 24 hours before moving and using the mat.

This is a great way to incorporate nature into your bathroom and remember your favorite beach trips!

Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (7) Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (5) Tattooed Martha - Ocean Stone Bath Mat (10)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tagged: , , , , ,

Comments: 48

1. Kelli May 28, 2013 at 10:17 am Reply

Omg! I love this idea!! Thanks for sharing, Sasha. You’re so crafty and creative. LOVE IT! 🙂

• Sasha May 28, 2013 at 10:50 am Reply

Thank you Kelli!

2. Jess @ Sweet Athena May 28, 2013 at 6:38 pm Reply

Wow! I love that you took a popular idea and really thought about it and made sure it was something that could be sustainable. That’s some true Martha crafting right there. 😉

3. Olivia October 8, 2013 at 11:42 am Reply

I love this idea! In fact, I am obsessed with it! I am from New Hampshire and LOVE the ocean, but my husband and I currently live in Utah for school but I have tons of ocean rocks that I’ve brought with me from the east coast and that my mom has sent over time so I can’t wait to do this! Ahh!

4. Sasha March 12, 2014 at 7:08 pm Reply

Thank you so much Jenise! I’m honored!

5. janice April 10, 2014 at 11:02 pm Reply

I LOVE THIS BUt
    i have a few questions
    so where does the excess water run to after it goes through
    the rocks to the mat?
    how do you sanitize this ?

• Sasha April 11, 2014 at 11:33 am Reply

The rocks we used were very porous so they did a great job at absorbing most of the water. What little run off there was, I would just lift the mat and wipe up with a towel or paper towel. To wash it I just placed mine straight into the bathtub, added a few squirts of soap, and turned the shower on. Then I just tipped it so the water could run off and let it air dry.

I hope this helps! Happy crafting!

6. Winter July 5, 2014 at 10:45 am Reply

Hi there! Thank you so much for this tutorial! I was wondering what could be used for the stones if I live nowhere close to a beach. Are there porous stones that can be found in any stores that you know of? Thanks!

• Sasha July 6, 2014 at 2:16 pm Reply

Hi Winter! I would start with your local craft stores (Michael’s, Jo-Anns, Hobby Lobby) and see what they have available. Typically I only find the small shiny river rocks, which worry me since they could be a bit slippery. If they don’t have any stones large enough or porous in texture, check with Lowes or Home Depot. I hope this helps! Happy crafting!

7. Rosie July 15, 2014 at 3:07 pm Reply

How heavy is this thing?

• Sasha July 15, 2014 at 9:13 pm Reply

Haha it’s pretty heavy! The ocean stones I used are pretty heavy, but perhaps using flatter or lighter river rock might take some of that weight away. It slides around pretty easy though if you need to move it though.

8. Tammy July 15, 2014 at 11:40 pm Reply

I love this idea! I definitely want to try it. But one concern…is it hard on the bare feet? Even without sharp edges I’m worried it won’t be too comfy to stand on. How is that in your own experience?

• Sasha July 17, 2014 at 10:48 pm Reply

It’s surprisingly smooth and comfortable to stand on. I wouldn’t recommend it for in front of the sink or anywhere you’ll be standing for extended periods of time, but in front of the shower is just perfect! 🙂

• Liz March 20, 2016 at 3:28 pm Reply

Doesnt it get moldy? It’s amazing would love one. It’s either going to be this or Moss. Thanks

• Sasha April 28, 2016 at 4:41 pm Reply

Hi Liz! With regular cleaning (maybe once every few weeks), mold shouldn’t be an issue. I’m also a big fan of the moss bath mats too, but haven’t attempted one myself. Let me know which one you decide to make and how it turns out!

9. Sarah Tarkington July 16, 2014 at 8:00 am Reply

You can buy river rock anywhere stone/gravel/dirt is sold and probably at Home Depot or a local Hardware store. I’d take a guess though that the a gravel/dirt distributor would be least expensive.

10. Karyl Griffin July 21, 2014 at 2:11 pm Reply

A friend recently redid her shower with flat stones for the flooring and I love it…but to redo mine was going to be very expensive. I’m not sure that I can find stones here in the desert, but this gave me an idea of what I might do to just make an in shower mat that wouldn’t require a full shower remodel. I’m going to percolate on this one! Thanks for the great idea.

• Sasha July 25, 2014 at 7:18 pm Reply

Thank you Karyl! You’ll have to keep me posted on your shower makeover plans! I’d love to see what you do with it!

11. Donna January 31, 2015 at 6:25 am Reply

Do you think it would work for a front door mat?

• Sasha February 3, 2015 at 3:18 pm Reply

I think it would work for a while, but you would need to re-glue some of the stones on after time. The high traffic that a front door mat receives mixed with weather is going to create stress and general wear and tear much faster than it would as a bath mat.

12. LO VEE March 14, 2015 at 3:12 pm Reply

Hey!
    Has anyone used this IN their shower? Like a slip/proof mat? Would it be uncomfortable or moldy? Suggestions?

• Sasha March 14, 2015 at 9:53 pm Reply

I wouldn’t recommend it, but if you do give it a go I recommend using porous rocks to avoid it getting too slippery and also cleaning it regularly. A shower spray that prevents soap buildup and mold would be best.

13. ZULY March 17, 2015 at 3:36 am Reply

Замечательная идея!!! мило, красиво, креативно и приятно. спасибо! 🙂

14. Daily Life March 22, 2015 at 1:33 pm Reply

[…] to log on and publish a post, only to find that my site kept crashing! Thanks to many shares of my Ocean Stone Bath Mat post, I had an immense amount of visitors to the blog that I was not prepared for! I took some time […]

15. Путешествия May 3, 2015 at 2:54 am Reply

Nice idea! Just one question: isn’t it too cold to step down on it after shower. And is it washable? How to clean it? I suppose the glue will be weakened by contact with water…

• Sasha May 7, 2015 at 2:25 pm Reply

The stones seem to keep whatever temperature the room is at. I also positioned mine in front of our bathroom heater so it’s really nice during winter! Just use a regular bathroom cleaner or place the entire mat inside your bathtub, turn the shower on, and scrub with dish soap. Depending on the glue you use, it could definitely break down with water that’s why I suggest a waterproof sealing glue like the one pictured here. I hope this helps! Happy crafting!

16. […] Коврик из настоящей гальки можно сделать самим. Инструкция по ссылке. […]

17. Annalise May 9, 2015 at 6:47 pm Reply

Hi, I love this idea! I was wondering where did you get all your supplies?

• Sasha May 10, 2015 at 11:14 am Reply

Thanks Annalise! I found all the stones at the Pacific Ocean, the mat I believe Target or Fred Meyer (kind of like a Walmart), and the glue was found at Home Depot.

18. Fawn July 15, 2015 at 11:07 am Reply

This is wonderful! I would use it in my house as a decorative item on the floor. Love bringing the outdoors indoors! Thank you SO much for a wonderful tutorial.

• Sasha July 17, 2015 at 3:08 pm Reply

Thank you Fawn!

19. Judith Gorman July 20, 2015 at 12:17 pm Reply

This looks like it would be perfect to cover the large round cement septic covers that are on my terrace. One has to be able to be removed every 2 years so it can’t be a permanent thingy and my husband has to like it. Other folks have put on artificial grass -awful…so since I put big flower filled tubs on them with these mats underneath it should look awesome. Going shopping….thanks.

20. […] @valencchu reune para tí algunos trucos que además de no requerir espacio, ni inversiones mayores, son muy sencillos, de buen gusto y de seguro transformarán tu area de baño del cielo a la tierra Un tapete de piedritas de río verdaderas. Es muy facil de hacer y las instrucciones están aquí. […]

21. G December 29, 2015 at 8:22 am Reply

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing, can’t wait to start working on it! Where did you purchase this mat? Thanks!

• Sasha January 13, 2016 at 4:03 pm Reply

Thank you! I believe I found the mat at Target!

22. […] * Des instructions sur la création du paillasson en galets vous trouverez ici […]

23. Lisa fowler February 23, 2016 at 11:39 pm Reply

Will the sealer release toxins when in contact with hot water from the shower ?

• Sasha February 25, 2016 at 11:31 am Reply

Hi Lisa, I wouldn’t recommend using this directly in the shower because after water and soap constantly hitting it, it could cause some of the stones to come loose. I would use it as a mat to step onto outside of the tub instead.

24. Jeanne L February 25, 2016 at 6:09 am Reply

I love this idea. We live by the beach so I have easy access to stones. Plus I have collected so many but I like that yours are oval and similar. One question. Do you think this would last outside on a porch? It sure would fit nicely with our beach house exterior decor. Just wondering if glue would hold up with different weather conditions. I could bring it in during the coldest winter months. A fun conversation piece!

• Sasha February 25, 2016 at 11:36 am Reply

Hi Jeanne! Thank you so much for your comment! I would suggest using an outdoor caulking or other type of heavy duty outdoor glue to adhere the stones to the mat. I put mine outside during the summer and some of the stones came loose with just general wear and tear of walking on it and being exposed to the elements. The glue I used isn’t suited for outdoor use though, so I’m sure if you found something a little more durable for outdoors, it should hold up just fine!

25. Jeanne L February 25, 2016 at 2:53 pm Reply

Thanks for the quick reply. Your advice sounds very good. I will probably put it somewhere on the porch that doesn’t get much use but more as something to admire. We live in Maine so we get quite a bit of intense coastal weather so the outdoor caulk/glue really makes sense. I am going to check out your website for more interesting projects. But I better finish all the ones I have already started!

26. Johnnie Olivia Tate March 14, 2016 at 1:15 pm Reply

Love this mat. I will definitely be looking for these stones on my next trip to the Hobby Store. Thank you so much for sharing this idea.