Spicy Rum Pulled Pork Sliders

Tattooed Martha - Spicy Rum Pulled Pork Sliders (11)

Anyone within 5 miles of my kitchen last night had to be in total envy of the pork loin I slow cooked for 6 hours. The sweet and spicy smell has probably permeated our furniture and walls, but I’m not sad about it! Marinated in spices, placed on a bed of onions, and then smothered in a mixture of barbecue sauce and my personal favorite… Sailor Jerry Rum!

…..

Tattooed Martha - Spicy Rum Pulled Pork Sliders (2)

Ingredients:

½ Tbs paprika

½ Tbs garlic powder

½ Tbs cayenne pepper

1 tsp coarse salt

1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

2 – 2 ½ lbs boneless pork loin

1 red onion, finely chopped

Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce (I used the Hickory and Brown Sugar flavor)

½ cup Sailor Jerry Rum

Juice from 1 lime

8 slider buns or rolls

(1.) Add paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to a large bowl and shake to mix. Add pork loin to bowl and rub spices in until pork is completely covered with mixture. Place pork on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour or overnight. (2.) Place half of the chopped onion in the crock-pot and (3.) the other half in the bowl with any remaining spices. (4.) Add barbecue sauce, Sailor Jerry Rum, and lime juice to the bowl and stir until mixed.

Tattooed Martha - Spicy Rum Pulled Pork Sliders (4)

When pork is finished marinating, place in the crock-pot on top of the onions.

Tattooed Martha - Spicy Rum Pulled Pork Sliders (5)

Pour barbecue and rum mixture over the top of the pork.

Tattooed Martha - Spicy Rum Pulled Pork Sliders (6)

Cover with lid and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until tender and meat shreds easily with a fork. Most of the sauce will reduce down so you won’t need to drain it. The picture below is after about 4 hours of cooking and you can see how much it’s reduced.

Tattooed Martha - Spicy Rum Pulled Pork Sliders (7)

When pork is finished cooking, shred meat with two forks and stir so it becomes evenly saturated with the sauce.

Tattooed Martha - Spicy Rum Pulled Pork Sliders (8)

Spoon onto slider buns and serve with coleslaw, lettuce, or cheese.

Tattooed Martha - Spicy Rum Pulled Pork Sliders (11)

Tattooed Martha - Spicy Rum Pulled Pork Sliders (9)

Tattooed Martha - Spicy Rum Pulled Pork Sliders (10)

Enjoy!

P.S. If you don’t have a crock-pot, swing by your local Goodwill! People often get duplicates for wedding presents, they realized they never use theirs, or they upgrade to a new one and donate perfectly good ones! I picked this bad boy up for $15 and it works amazing!

Tattooed Martha - Spicy Rum Pulled Pork Sliders (1)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tagged: , , , ,

Comments: 10

1. Daily Life | Tattooed Martha April 3, 2013 at 1:56 pm Reply

[...] Last week we had some errands to run and then stopped to do a little shopping! I picked up an adorable dress from Naked City (my new favorite place to spend money!) which will be perfect for my friend’s rehearsal dinner next month. They had all of my favorite brands (like Sailor Jerry!) and then some! Be sure to check them out! Afterwards we stopped into Proof for some beers and grub and watched a woman doing yoga… on the street. Yep… that’s Portland for ya! I had their pulled pork sliders, which inspired me to make my own! [...]

2. Jay April 17, 2013 at 5:14 pm Reply

Thanks for sharing. It looks awesome! Do I use the whole bottle of barbecue sauce?

• Sasha April 17, 2013 at 5:31 pm Reply

Thanks Jay! Yep! The whole bottle! : )

3. Daily Life September 25, 2013 at 3:30 pm Reply

[…] Spicy Rum Pulled Pork Sliders […]

4. Melanie April 28, 2014 at 1:21 pm Reply

My old man doesn’t like BBQ sauce, if i changed that to passtta or ketchup would it still taste ok? Ive never made pulled pork before and really want to try this recipe especially because of the sailor jerry! :D

• Sasha April 28, 2014 at 3:04 pm Reply

Ooh that’s a tough one! The BBQ sauce adds a lot of the sweet, smokey, and spicy flavor that makes these so delicious! I did a little bit of digging and found this recipe from Chow.com and it has BBQ optional instructions. http://www.chow.com/recipes/30356-easy-slow-cooker-pulled-pork I would add this portion – 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, 1 Tbs packed dark brown sugar, 1 Tbs chili powder, 1 Tbs kosher salt, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, from their recipe and add that in lieu of the BBQ sauce on my recipe. The flavors could still end up having a BBQ-esque flavor so he still might not be a fan. It also might be a little bit watery since you’re using chicken stock instead of a thick sauce.

When I made these I didn’t feel like the pork was smothered in BBQ like a lot of pulled pork sandwiches I’ve had in the past, so you might be able to convince him to give it a shot with the BBQ after all! Let me know what you decide on and how it turns out! Happy cooking Melanie!

• Melanie April 30, 2014 at 11:37 am Reply

I think i’ll just do it your way lol. I think i’ve managed to convince the hubby that it won’t be too strong BBQ flavour. Fussy fussy men!! Using chicken stock just doesn’t sound as yummy as your recipe ( and it doesn’t look as good either :D )

Does this freeze well? ive got 5 kg of pork to do this with.

• Sasha April 30, 2014 at 12:57 pm Reply

Haha well I hope that he comes around and enjoys it despite the BBQ! And holy pork! That’s a lot! Just put it into an airtight container or freezer zip-lock bag and when you want to reheat just pop it back into the slow cooker!

• Melanie May 1, 2014 at 3:11 am

It’s in the slow cooker now!! I used half bbq sauce and half passata. I also added a table spoon of Chinese five spice to the rub mix aswel. The smell in my house is amazing right now!
            I’ve now got a empty sailor jerry bottle that I’m going to try to put the label on canvas like you did. Quite fancied the hair clip with the bottle lid but my lid is a cork! Haven’t seen them in the UK with bottle tops

• Sasha May 1, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Aww I hear that complaint a lot! I think the U.S. might be the only area that does the tin lids. I’ve been trying to stockpile my lids so I can send them off to a few readers that have requested them. I’ll add you to the list!